Wednesday 20 March 2013

Updates ~ Platelet Counts

20 March 2013 (Wed):

An update. Rachel has since fully recovered though we still want her to rest alot. And she need to avoid getting knocks & bumps.

On Monday, we went to the Polyclinic for a blood test. Rachel had one on Fri (15 Mar) & the result shown her platelet counts at only 145.

Results on Mon (18 Mar) was even lower, at 94. Yikes! The doctor suspected dengue as one of the symptoms were low platelet counts. But Rachel did not have any body rashes, neither joint pain nor body ache. She ordered Rachel to be on full bed rest, not allowing her to run around or jump about.

I searched the net on infomation on low platelet counts & how to increase them. And I came across this super info on papaya leaves extract. It was believed that these extracts from papaya leaves helps to increase the platelets. You only take about 2 -3 leaves, wash them, pound or blend them & strain the juice out. It should yield 2-3 spoonful. But note: it is VERY BITTER.

But I was wondering where on earth can I get papaya leaves from? I doubt anyone or any supermarkets selling them for the matter. I posted on FB & a long term friend responded. She got it for me. Thanks so much, Nat. :)

And lo & behold, I told my mil about the leaves & my uncle got some for me. Now, where on earth did he get it from? Coaxing Rachel to drink that 2 mouthful was not a problem at all. I only had to tell her: drink or stay in hospital. LOL.

We were back at the polyclinic for another test yesterday. She told us if the counts were 80 or lower, we have to proceed to KK immediately & an admission is neccessary. I have been praying for her counts to go up.

And would you believe? Her counts were up at 122. Whether the papaya leaves extract played a part or not, I am so thankful. My mil gave Rachel chicken essense as well & my fil gave her bananas. According to my mil, when my cousins were admitted to the hospital for dengue, they drank the essense to increase the platelet counts. And the bananas were not just the normal bananas you get from the supermarket or fruit stores. There is a specific one but I do not know the exact name.

Rachel was given another 4 days mc & she was obviously over the moon. But anyway, its the school hols now & there will not be any lessons conducted; only enrichment programs. We need to go back on Fri for another test.

2 comments:

Mummy N said...

no problem, dear. i can fully understand your anxiety. my girl may have outgrown her fibril fever stage but the image of her blue lips and roll-up eyes will forever be etched in my mind.

Lionel n Rachel said...

I have the same experience with Rachel when she was only 5 mths old.